Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tour of Fancy Milk Chocolates


The population of Greece can be bisected cleanly down the middle. Based on what earth-shattering criterion? you ask. Based on whether they prefer Ion or Lacta milk chocolate! I am an Ion girl myself.

There is a fantastic purveyor of fancy foods just up the hill from us, called Lazy Acres, and we do almost all of our food shopping there. It carries probably a dozen brands of fancy chocolates, of which I am a huge fan, despite the incredible discipline I display when consuming it. While I realize that high cocoa dark chocolate is probably the standard by which to judge a chocolate maker, I happen to be a fan of milk chocolate myself. So I'm going to give myself a tour through the expensive milk chocolates that Lazy Acres carries and let you know what I think here!

A note about my taste in milk chocolate: I tend to prefer the very smooth, non-acidic, non-liquory type, so you'll see that bias reflected here. Also, I am less a chewer and more a melt-in-the-mouth'er.

Here we go!

Dagoba -- thumbs down, too much liquor, too little milkiness
Newmann's Own -- thumbs down, too much liquor, too little milkiness, and a funky fattiness
Endangered Species -- thumbs enthusiastically up

More coming...

Also, if anyone would like to sign me up for a chocolate of the month club, please do :)

1 comment:

the girl in the red hat said...

Interesting. I like Guittard or Callebaut couverture... but my very favorite is the Valrhona. I found the Godiva bars to be way too sweet. My sister has a weakness for the Lindt. I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

I think the organic chocolates concentrate on organic and not on flavor and that works for them because people who buy organic may well be more picky about organic that flavor.