Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My favorite climbing/hiking/backpacking apparel


Cleaning on Summer Sojourn
Originally uploaded by slampoud
I'm very very particular about the clothes I wear when I'm climbing, hiking and backpacking -- and, if possible, I'm even happier if they can cross over to sailing, but very few garments do. I want my gear to be high quality and durable, since I don't want to replace it more frequently than every few years. I generally don't wear it around town, which keeps it feeling a little like fairy dust: put it on, and it's magically the weekend! My usage mode is usually to stick each and every one of these garments in my pack every time I go adventuring (hence they're all very lightweight), take them out and wash them when I return, and repeat during the next excursion two weeks later. So they have to withstand a biweekly wash cycle and the rigors of the outdoors, for a couple years.

The gear that's proven itself over the last one-plus year:

Long pants: REI Acme pants (I would live in these if I could)

Shorts: Lole (can't find the model, but they're SPF 50+, with carbon nanofibers, two buttons, fit like heaven, super stretchy and dry immediately! And I hate shorts!)

Puffy: Isis Whisper (converted me to a down fanatic for life)

Shell: Marmot Cloudlight (plain old competent)

Layers: Icebreaker everything (a love affair I've written about before)

Socks: Smartwool PhD (won't buy anything else)

Beanie: Icebreaker Bauble

Gloves: Sprigs Multi-Mitts

Approach shoes: 5.10 Prodigy

So, to the companies that make my favorite junk: I <3 you!

No comments: