Sunday, December 9, 2007

Hairspray

I'm a huge fan of musicals, and when I saw the trailers for this one I loved the look and feel and couldn't wait to see it. I was indeed impressed. The look was indeed amazing, the cast was brilliant, but the emotion, aside from Michelle Pfeiffer's performance, was not there for me.

Incidentally, it just so happens that when the question, "who's your favorite actress" is posed to the men I hold nearest and dearest, a very very large percentage of them responds, "Michelle Pfeiffer". When asked why, they give a reason that's part, "because I actually like her" and part "because I think it's the right answer to give". That latter reason I've always found baffling. Is it that somehow women are supposed to like Michelle enough that we're not threatened by the choice? Or is it that being like her is sufficiently unattainable, and getting her is sufficiently unattainable to the men, that Michelle's name should end the conversation. What's with the universal, ageless appeal of Michelle as an answer to this question?

No comments: