Monday, April 13, 2009

2006 Stolpman Syrah

I wrote about a Stolpman Syrah (to which I was first introduced by Jordan) here, last April, but this Friday I got to try the next year's vintage. I was looking for a wine to bring to a friend's dinner party and I wanted something nice, so I went into Bev'mo in La Jolla and found neither the Blair Fox nor the Stolpman. Around the corner is Jonathan's, a shi-shi, Lazy Acres-like grocery store with a good selection of expensive wines, so I snuck in. They didn't have the Blair Fox -- I asked, and the woman, about my age, said something like "never heard of it", like that was a good thing -- but they did have a Stolpman for $30, which I proceeded to pick up. Turns out this is a year younger than last year's, and I had an opportunity to compare prices at Lazy this weekend to find that it's also about $15 cheaper, the 2005 having gone up in price in the meantime. The 2006 is just as highly rated, and apparently apt to age well, so I'm debating buying a couple and setting them aside to try out next year or the year after. In any case, the 2006 is fucking amazing. I must have looked like a total moron to everyone at the table with my nose stuck in my glass, snorting the wine. I swear, this wine is bottled sunshine.

No comments: