Friday, December 19, 2008

McClean Syrah

When I went to UC San Diego for an interview -- and I'm taking that job, by the way -- my hosts took me out to lunch to a fantastic near campus that I will probably never be able to afford again, the Adobe Restaurant at the Estancia Hotel & Spa. Along with the meal we had a random bottle of Syrah. I suspect the place does not serve wine rated below 90 to begin with, but this one blew me away. Of course I was too distracted with everything else, the interview, the meal, the upcoming talk, to write down what the wine was. I thought it was a Santa Barbara Syrah, and I knew it started with "Mc", and I knew I thought the label was boring. I definitely didn't note the year. So today I took the time to do a little searching, and I'm pretty sure it was the McClean Syrah, which, however, is from Paso, not SB. The only real way to verify is to have a bottle sometime. *wink*

No comments: