Friday, July 4, 2008

Pacific Oasis 2005 Merlot

This Gehrs wine deserves special mention, because it is a bottle of the 2003 vintage, which Ian brought to dinner a couple years ago, that got me thinking I might want to learn more about wine. So when I recently found a 2005 bottle, at a Japanese market of all places, for $15, I scooped it up. I looked it up on the web, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that winemaker is almost geeky, and has data sheets for his wines. Awesome!
The roomies and I had this bottle during the power outage due to the Gap fire a couple nights ago. Immediately after uncorking, this is a harsh drink. It mellows out as it sits, but I still wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was with the 2003 two years ago. It could be that it's a wine to be had with food, it could be the vintage, it could be the store kept it in a warm place and it went off, or I could be a little more discerning. We'll never know... but I was let down.

No comments: