Saturday, February 23, 2008

Brokeback Mountain

I watched this last night for the second time, and it held up incredibly well. This movie made me cry the first time around, and it set the tone for my whole day today. It's incredibly beautifully made, the lead actors are brilliant, and the supporting actresses kick ass. It's a real shame people think of this as the "gay cowboy movie", because it's just a damn good love story, gay or straight. In fact, I'm getting this vibe lately that gay cinema is doing the love story more justice than straight cinema, which, frankly, is kind of trite. Plus, there's always the exploitative way to view this film: just as dudes get all turned on at the idea of two women together, so can women get turned on by the idea of two men together. Two men so in touch with their feelings that they can be passionate *towards each other*. Whoa! We're talking mythical creatures here. But I digress... This movie has made it into my top 5 favorites.

1 comment:

ShockingSchadenfreude said...

Ang Lee has always been an acute observer of the minuitae of behavior. This is what makes his best movies so successful (and his worst movies so awful.)

I must admit that the scene where Heath Ledger's character throws up while in the background a tumbleweed goes by was quite inspired, and it "got me".