Saturday, March 15, 2008

In Bruges

I went to see this movie cold turkey, knowing absolutely nothing about it, simply because I'd been to Bruges as a child and loved it. I was astonished at how good it was, and predict it will become a favorite. I don't know whether this has any basis in fact, but I thought this movie could have its roots in theater of the absurd. When I was a teenager I was quite involved with theater, and my favorites were Beckett, Ionesco and Pinter -- Pinter's "The Birthday Party" is my all-time favorite piece I've acted in. Watching "In Bruges" brought the feel of The Birthday Party back, and it was so weird and powerful that I had to go back home and watch an episode of numbingly familiar and comfortable X-Files, and drink a bottle of wine to wash the taste from my mouth. Don't get me wrong, it's a good feel, to some extent, but that was a tough and formative time, and it's hard to feel like you're back there again.I may have to go watch In Bruges again ... I don't remember when the last time I did that with a movie was. LoTR maybe?

2 comments:

ShockingSchadenfreude said...

Martin McDonagh, the scriptwriter, is an accomplished playwright.

Definitely rooted in Beckett and Ionesco, and the Theater of the Absurd. Shades of Kafka too.

Terroar said...

No shit! I guess I wasn't hallucinating then... That's good.